The Problem: a pop up at startup notifies the user that “Sonic Focus drivers must be loaded for this application to work” and your audio may or may not be working. also noteworthy is that this issue seems to be caused by using windows update to update the audio driver, specifically; “IDT High Definition Audio Codec”. avoid/hide this one if you can.
A Sonic Focus dialog box telling you something you don't want to hear.
1. Go to your system drive, typically your “C” drive
2. Go to Program Files
3. Go to SigmaTel folder
4. You should see an Install Shield Wizard, install it.
Alternative Fix: not necessarily a fix but it will at least get rid of the annoying pop-up.
press Start -> Run, and type “msconfig” in the command box. this will open the System Configuration Utility window.
Click on the “Startup” tab
Find IntelAudioStudio in the Item list.
Clear the checkbox.
Additional Information: check out the intel forums on this exact issue.. it will cover much of what I’ve said here with some additional ideas.. but I can only vouch for what I’ve written here as being something that worked for me, enjoy.
The Problem: When accessing the Windows Update Web site to check for and install updates, you receive error number: 0x80072F76
The Specifics: according to Microsoft support, this error is caused by interruptions in communications between the computer to be updated and the update to be downloaded. the specific error: ERROR_WINHTTP_HEADER_NOT_FOUND. this clued me into the fact that there was at least some communication taking place.
The Solution: In my case, I found the issue to be with my hardware firewall. but I imagine this issue can be caused by any number of network related issues, anything preventing or hindering network data. so a good course of action for this error (or related errors) is to turn off any unnecessary network/security software and take a look at your hardware.
Make a note of what took place just at/before the system halt as it may help to diagnose the issue. this to look for include applications that were open and which was active when the system hung.
Reboot by holding down the power button until it powers off, and then pressing the power button again to power it on.
The cause of these panics can be either software or hardware. Be ready for the problem to happen again. Panics caused by hardware are most likely to recur.
Recreate the panic conditions. open the same applications that were open during the first caused the initial panic. If you can replicate a problem, you can receive support for it.
If the panic does recur you have a couple options:
Check out your log files to clue you in, the locations are as follows:
Mac OS X v10.5 and later If a kernel panic occurs, information is added to a log file in the folder /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (Mac OS X v10.6), or /Library/Logs/PanicReporter (Mac OS X v10.5).The name of each log file in this location includes the date and time when the kernel panic was logged.
Mac OS X 10.2 to 10.4.11 If a kernel panic occurs, information is added to a log file named “panic.log” in the folder /Library/Logs/ .
Run the Apple Hardware Test. Insert the appropriate disc in your optical drive, and hold the “D” key on your keyboard as you restart your Mac. Prior to OS 10.5.4, the hardware test was on Disc 1, and for later versions it is on Disc 2.
Additionally you can run Diskwarrior and simply press “rebuild” this will repair the disk directory and if nothing else will eliminate one possible cause of the panic.
The Problem: A brand new Mac with a kernel panic and associated screen shift that occurs only during web browsing.
The Specifics: the kernel panic only occurs during web browsing. is not dependent on the browser or whether plugins are disabled (e.g. flash). only when a browser window is open and and action is taking place.. like a mouse click or scrolling. The screen will shift off center to varying degrees and a kernel panic message appears at which point a restart is required to unlock the frozen machine.
Kernel Panic with Screen Shift
The Solution: after some software tinkering and fixing permissions using disk utility to no avail.. I ended up running DiskWarrior and repaired the HD that way.. I haven’t experienced the Kernel panic since. Wish I had more information regarding the specifics on this one, but I do believe its related to the migration assistant and more specifically, something on my old machine that got brought over to the new.